Thursday, December 3, 2015

British-Nigerian woman arrested for currency trafficking


Olukoya Sarah Ogunade, 52, was yesterday arrested by the NDLEA, while trying to board a Virgin Atlantic flight to London. She was found with $114,245 and €2,020, which were not declared in accordance with the law, inside 13 white envelopes.
In her statement, Ogunade said: “I am an Architect based in London. The money is part of rent paid to me by tenants in a property I inherited. It is also part of architectural and interior decoration work I did as well as loans from family members. I used to send money through the bank but the new regulation made me to carry cash. I intend to use the money to pay my children school fees and my medical bills.”

She however did not provide documents and material evidence to substantiate her claims. This according to the Agency suggests currency trafficking. Though the NDLEA did not link the money to proceeds of narcotic trade, it however insisted that lack of declaration of the money makes her action not only suspicious but liable to prosecution.
Following her unsatisfactory explanation, the Acting Chairman/Chief Executive of NDLEA, Mrs Roli Bode-George, directed that the case be immediately transferred to the EFCC for further investigation and action.

credit:instablog9ja

No comments:

Post a Comment